The Great Seal of the State of Idaho was adopted in 1863. The seal of the Territory of Idaho was used until statehood in 1890. The seal was designed by Emma Edwards Green, the only woman to design a state seal. The seal was updated in 1957. The current seal contains the text "Great Seal of the State of Idaho" in the outer ring. Also the star that signifies a new light in the galaxy of states. The inner ring contains a banner with the Latin motto, Esto perpetua ("Let it be perpetual" or "It is forever"). The woman, signifying justice, and a man, a miner the indicates the chief occupation of the State at the time. A shield is placed between the man and woman. Inside the shield contains images symbolic of the State. The pine tree in the foreground refers to Idaho's immense timber interests. The husbandman plowing on the left side of the shield, together with the sheaf of grain beneath the shield, are emblematic of Idaho's agricultural resources, while the cornucopias, or horns of plenty, refer to the horticultural. Idaho has a game law, which protects the elk and moose. The elk's head, therefore, rises above the shield. The state flower, the wild Syringa or Mock Orange, grows at the woman's feet, while the ripened wheat grows as high as her shoulder. The river depicted in the shield is the Snake or Shoshone River.